Thursday, June 19, 2014

Before Sunset - Movie Review


Before Sunset is the 2004 sequel to Before Sunrise from 1995.  As it has been 9 years between productions in real life, it has been 9 years between meetings for Celine and Jesse, the characters in the movie.  So, the actors really have aged the same as their characters.

As Sunrise ended, the two characters had agreed to meet at the same spot on the train platform in exactly 6 months.  As Sunset begins, we learn that they didn't meet that day. (And we learn why, but I will leave that for you to learn when you watch.)  In fact, this is the first time they've seen each other since their magical 24 hours in Vienna 9 years ago.  

As of 2004, Jesse is now a successful writer who is on a European book tour.  His last stop is Paris where he does a book talk and signing at the famed Shakespeare and Company Bookstore.  As his session ends, he sees Celine watching him from across the room.  What is the book he's written?  It's a romance about their first meeting.  It turns out that she's read it and saw a notice that he would be there.  Obviously, she knows it is a true story, but he doesn't admit to the public that it's based on real life and has labeled it "fiction".  

This time, they do what they did before.  They spend some time together before he has to fly home - this time it is about 80 minutes in real time.  They walk and talk their way through Paris, with a stop at a cafe and a boat ride along the way and ending at her apartment.  Sorry - no spoilers here.  You will have to watch it to find out what happens.

As with the first movie, this is all about their conversation.  They discuss their lives, loves, philosophies and share very private thoughts and feelings. This movie had the same primary writer, Richard Linklater, but was also co-written by actors Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.  They all came together in Paris after several years of emails and phone calls discussing ideas and dialogue, then they rehearsed for about 2 weeks and shot the movie in 3 weeks on location around Paris.  This movie received wide acclaim and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. 

An interesting side-note, both Delpy's mother and father appear in the movie very briefly as neighbors in her apartment building.  

In the days since I watched the first movie, I found myself looking forward to watching this second one.  I'm very glad I didn't have to wait 9 years to do so.  I now have #3, Before Midnight, waiting for me.  I'm not spoiling it for myself even though I know the plot summary is online.  I'm having fun imagining where this next episode will take us.  

I do have just one question or complaint, however.  In this second movie, Celine's character is working as an environmental activist.  She is very concerned about all environmental issues like pollution, etc...  Then during the scene when they are having coffee in a cafe, she pulls out a pack of cigarettes and lights up.  Really?  I found this totally out of character for her.  Maybe that's the point - that she's human and has inconsistencies as well, but I found this to have an untrue ring to it.  Just my opinion, I'm sure. 

Those of you who are romantics at heart will enjoy these movies.  I do think their impact is enhanced by watching them in short sequence.  While it is tempting to label low-action movies where people talk about their feelings and relationships as "chick-flicks", I really don't think these are.  I think romantic men who value in-depth relationships with women will see value in these movies, too. 

Let me know what YOU think!  Happy viewing, and come back again soon!

:)Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment