Today was backsplash day after giving the countertops a night to settle into their silicone caulk.
Keith started with the stove side. He had previously smoothed out the wall with drywall mud in preparation for today. My tile comes in sheets which makes for easier application than individual tiles.
Here is a before (old kitchen) photo:
Here is the wall after demolition with the new cabinets in place:
(The old tiles were individual squares)
Here is a photo of the prepped wall:
Here is today's work in progress:
This whole job has been a greatbighuge learning experience for me. One thing I learned about tile is that even after you order your tile sheets, you will need some sort of finishing-edge product. It could be bull-nose tiles, or it could be a border of some kind. My Handyman Matters workers instructed me about this (I didn't learn about it from my kitchen designer). They suggested I go to Home Depot or Lowe's and look at the options in the tile section. I did that, and I found a metal strip that fits with my hardware theme. Technically it is called Aluminum Tile Edging. I chose one that is 3/8" in Brushed Antique Bronze. It comes in 8' long pieces and then is cut to fit. The back portion with the holes is fit into the mortar. My tiles fit into a curve on the piece. Here is what it looks like:
Here is the workspace as it is today:
The sink was also plumbed today. The Insinkerator is on the left side.
Tomorrow, Keith will grout what has been put up. He will finish everything after the 2 delayed upper cabinets come in (next week).
That's it for today! Thanks for visiting!