Friday, August 5, 2011

New Hampshire 2011 - Trip Summary


Day 1 – Sunday, July 24, 2011

          The weather was absolutely perfect for the drive from southern New Hampshire north to the White Mountains.  After more than a week of temps in the 90’s, a cold front had brought temps in the low 80’s and blue skies with wispy summer clouds.  As we drove up I-93, I could see the hills turn into mountains giving us amazing views around each curve in the road.

          After having lived in Ohio all my life, I found the terrain of New Hampshire to be quite a change.  First, imagine thousands of acres of dense woods – a mixture of evergreens and deciduous trees.  Then imagine cutting a ribbon through those trees.  That’s what it is like being on most roads in NH.  As you drive along, you are surrounded on both sides by dense forest that comes right to the edge of the road.  Occasionally there is a clearing for a house, or a small cluster of houses, but then that clearing closes up as quickly as it opened, and you are back in the forest again. 

          As I-93 climbs the terrain of the White Mountains, vistas of breathtaking beauty open up off to each side.  Since I had never been there before, I really didn’t know what to expect, and I was thrilled by what I saw.  At the height of summer, the density of the shades of green were at their peak.  I’ve been told I really need to go back in the fall, and I look forward to the chance to do just that. 

          I watched the map as my cousin drove, so I was aware of our location in relation to various mountains, but suddenly the Presidentials were there in front of me before I expected them.  Identifiable by their bald tops as they peak above the treeline, the heat of July was keeping them brown rather than snow-capped.  Mt. Washington, which tops out at 6288’, and is the tallest peak in the eastern US, has seen snow in every month of the year.  In fact, its claim to fame is that it has the world’s worst weather.  Mt. Washington holds the world record for having the highest surface wind speed ever recorded by man at 231 mph – April 12, 1934.  On 2/3 of the days of any typical year, there is fog at the summit, so I knew that being able to clearly see the top was a rare and wonderful thing. 

          Here are a few photos I took from the car on the drive up:





Below is my first view of the Presidentials, although I wasn't even sure what I was seeing at the time:


That is Mt. Washington at the right behind the support pole.

Once we arrived at The Mt. Washington Hotel, we got the best views.  Here are some photos taken from the back veranda of the hotel:


Notice the clouds dancing above Mt. Washington almost as if they are highlighting it in all its glory!


Then, there's the hotel.  The Omni Mt. Washington Resort Hotel is like no place I've ever visited.  It is grand from the first view at the entrance.  Opened in 1902, it has been modernized in ways that preserve the unique charm of its origins.


Below is a post card of the hotel that I found at an antique shop in Bethlehem, NH.  
I can't read the year, but postage was still 1 cent.  


     

          After checking in and getting unpacked, we enjoyed a very elegant meal in the formal dining room.  My meal began with a tomato basil soup served as I’d never had soup served to me before.  The first waiter placed a large shallow soup bowl on a dinner plate in front of me, and the second waiter filled my bowl from a small pot while shielding me from splashes with a napkin. 

          The salad course was also very unique.  It was a bouquet of fluffy, colorful lettuce tied with a very thin ribbon of cucumber, then drizzled with a raspberry vinaigrette.  Walnuts and pears were at the side of the plate.


         My entrée was an absolutely perfectly cooked NY Sirloin of probably 8 or 9 oz served on a bed of risotto with a side of cubed summer squash.   I didn’t really expect to be able to eat the whole thing, but I did.  Afterward, I indulged in a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream.  That might seem boring, but in spite of all the glorious fancy desserts on the menu, I was too full to enjoy anything heavier.  


          We enjoyed live music while we dined.  A combo of piano, drums and guitar played all through dinner.  Several couples danced.  For once, the music wasn’t too loud and provided a lovely ambiance as the backdrop for a fabulous meal.

          As the evening came to a close, I was very glad that we had decided to splurge on a stay at the Mt. Washington Hotel.  I knew the visit there would be a big part of the trip, and it was.  I savored every minute I was there and hope to be able to go back some day.  






No comments:

Post a Comment