Saturday, September 24, 2011

The End of an Era

I wish I could say the title of today’s entry was original with me; however, the NBC Nightly News used it on Friday, Sept. 23, 2011 before I had the chance to get my entry posted here. 

The End of an Era refers, of course, to the last episode of ABC’s soap opera All My Children.  I’m not quite sure why I feel the need to record my reaction to it here, but as I was watching, I thought to myself that I needed to write about this in my blog. 

All My Children started broadcasting in January of 1970.  I’m not sure exactly when I first became aware of it, but it was in the early ‘70s.   I can remember that I was taking piano lessons from Mrs. O’Neill, and often got to her house early and had to wait for the person ahead of me to get finished.  While I waited I would sit in the family room where her teen age daughter was watching it.  That’s how I got interested.  At some point, my lesson time changed, and I was home when it was on and started watching it myself.  I only watched it in the summer and on Christmas vacation days because it was on when I was at school – this was long before such a thing existed as the VCR. 

I paid attention to the show off and on throughout the ‘70s and ‘80s, but at some point I stopped watching regularly.  For many years I was able to keep up with the basic story line without watching every day, or even every week, but there came a time during the ‘90s when there were more characters I didn’t know than ones that I did. 

It just so happened that I had a vacation day yesterday, so I decided to watch the final episode, just because I could.   There were many people I knew:  Erica and Jack of course, Tad and Dixie (who supposedly died), Opal, Brooke and Adam/Stuart, Jesse and Angie. 

I found it interesting how they incorporated the ending of the show into the story line.  Angie talked extensively about friends who had known each other for 20, 30, even 40 years.  It was very clear that the lines were intended to have a double meaning.  It was interesting too that they found ways to bring back people who had been off the show for years (like Dixie and Brooke), and to have a big party at the Chandler Mansion was very appropriate – especially since the entry way and living room looked amazingly like the old Tyler/Wallingford Mansion.  Interesting also that it was Tad Martin who was chosen to do the big speech (as a toast), in which he too talked about Family, Friends and Neighbors who had all known each other for many years.  He made a joke about remembering them since high school.  Again, everything he said had a double meaning for those who knew the story of the story.   Of course, everyone in the scene was crying, and I’m sure many viewers were as well – as was I (but then I’ve been known to cry over Hallmark commercials!). 

I have to say that I found the ending of the show very disappointing.  The final lines, spoken by Erica and Jack, were a straight throwback to Gone With the Wind:
Erica: Jack wait!  This isn’t how I want this to end!
Jack: Frankly Erica, I don’t give a DAMN what you want. 
At least Erica didn’t follow it up with how tomorrow’s going to be another day!

Then there was the gunshot that rang out as the scene cut to black.  I was first reminded of the famous cliffhanger on Dallas – Who shot JR? - and more recently of The Sopranos which ended similarly. 

So, to me, it was disappointing that after 41 years on the air, they couldn’t come up with an original ending.  I know there have been many references made over the years to how much alike Scarlet O’Hara and Erica Kane were, but still…. Really?  Maybe all the writers were so busy crying that they just didn’t have it in them to be original in the end.  Maybe it was an inside joke that they just couldn’t pass up. 

I would like to have been a fly on the wall in the studio after the tape stopped rolling.  I’m sure the rap party was huge and very emotional.  I know how emotionally connected students get when they work on a musical for 8 weeks, so I can imagine what it must be like to work with the same actors on a show like that for many years. 

I’m glad I watched it.  It is a show that is part of my childhood, and the ending of it symbolizes huge changes in viewing habits and interests in my lifetime.  I’m also curious to see what, if anything, happens with it now.  There is talk of it becoming an internet show with or without Erica.  I’d like to see Susan Lucci hit prime time in her own series (either as Erica or not).

Yes, the End of an Era, indeed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment