Friday, March 29, 2013

Another New Item

A month or so ago, I decided that I was going to buy myself a new refrigerator for my birthday.  I've never liked the refrigerator at New House (NH).  There is nothing wrong with the way it functions, and it looks nice and is in great condition.  However, it is a top freezer model.  That means that the refrigerator part was very low.  I found it difficult to get stuff out of the bottom bins, and it was necessary to practically crawl into the compartment to reach stuff in the back.  And then, invariably, I would hit my head on the freezer door while coming out after reaching something in the back.  After a year of putting up with all this, I finally decided I'd reached my limit.

Last Saturday I did a scouting mission to the local Sears Hardware, and then to Home Depot in search of a nice bottom freezer model.  I came home armed with information, and then I did more homework online.  (What did we do before the internet?  Oh yes, I remember, we went to the library and searched Consumer Reports Magazines!)  After thoroughly investigating our options, I decided on a Kenmore 69002 from Sears.

The new Fridge was delivered today around noon.  It fits perfectly in the space, and so far seems to be just what I wanted!  We have temporarily moved the old one to the garage.  We are going to be donating it to the Furniture Bank next week.

Here are some photos of the old Fridge.  It is a Whirlpool.



The empty space was quickly cleaned up after moving the old one:  


Delivery of the new model was amazing.  There were 3 workers.  They had a truck with a lift bed on the back, and unboxed the new fridge in the street.  Then, when we were ready, they carried it in.  Yes, I said "carried".  2 guys with wide straps over their shoulders and a strap under the fridge carried it up the driveway, through the front door, and put it in place in about a minute.  No dolly, no fuss !!  


Here it is in place:  



We didn't want an ice-maker because they take up valuable room, and we have no water access on that side of the kitchen, so that meant getting a side open door instead of a pull out freezer door, which is fine with us. This is very similar to the refrigerator we bought for Old House (OH) about 6 years ago.  The main difference is the freezer door handle which is smaller and closer to the edge on the OH one.  

The delivery guy said it will take about 4 hours to get the temp where we can safely put food in.  Here is another advantage of 2 houses:  A couple of days ago, in anticipation of this delivery, we started taking food to OH for storage in that fridge (mainly stuff from the freezer, but also some fridge stuff).  We took a load on Wed and another yesterday.  That left just enough here to get us through the morning, and it was easy to manage at the time of delivery.  

So, there we go !  Another successful purchase for NH !

Thanks for reading about this latest adventure, and don't forget to feed the fish!

:)Amy







No comments:

Post a Comment