Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday, Here in the Park...

Today was Shopping-At-Home-Depot Day.  We spent 3 hours on our feet walking the store (thank you Vicodin!!).  Hubby actually pooped out before me today, which is VERY unusual. 

We got the light fixtures for outside the garage people door and the Porch.  We got the exhaust fan for the bathroom.  We got hinges for the 6 new interior doors (pooped out in the door-knob aisle).  We got frosted window film for the garage door windows.  We got a throw rug for the kitchen in front of the sink.  AND we got more SHELF LINER!!!!  Ha – you thought I was done didn’t you?  Well, so did I – until I opened one of the cabinets and found out that one of the types we had used curled up on us!  We will have NONE of that!  Turns out it was the cheap stuff. So I got more GOOD stuff.  I’m becoming an expert on shelf liner – if you need any advice, I’m the person to ask!

We also looked at rope lighting for the porch.  I’m a little concerned about the cord for the sets I’ve seen – it is big thick, heavy white cord which is going to be hanging down my brick wall to the outlet – it’s not going to be very easy to hide even if we run it down the corner.  I think I can come close to the length I need for the actual light-string, but I’m going to have to think about the whole cord thing.  I also think the cord part may not be long enough to make it to the outlet without an extension cord….  I may just have to go with Christmas lights instead of the fancy rope lighting.

We spent a lot of time in the lighting department.  Our Handyman guy said we need to be sure to get a light fixture for the garage that is rated for cold temps.  Hmmm…. Most fixtures say nothing about cold temps.  The clerk at HD said it has more to do with the type of florescent tubes than with the fixture itself.  We still need to do more research on this question. 

We looked at light fixtures for outside the big garage door.  The design of the fixture we like only has 1 bulb and we want 2.  The units with 2 bulbs are kind of boring and common.  So… no purchase of that yet. 

We also spent quite a bit of time looking at window film.  Who knew there were so many different types?!  We just tried it on 1 window, but so far we like it, so we’ll probably do the rest of the window tomorrow. 

Bathroom vanities.  HD doesn’t have the style I want in the size I need.  Lowe’s does.  It is the
ESTATE by RSI 25" White Boardwalk Bath Vanity with Top.    I’m going to get a medicine cabinet to match as well.  This comes with brushed nickel knobs which is what we are already going with on door hinges and knobs, so the faucet will be that as well. 

Doors.  We found the 6 panel replacement doors we need, but I need to find out if we should get the ones with pre-drilled door knob holes, or not.  

The other big event today was the hour-long phone conversation with the owner of Columbus Handyman.  He went over the details of the contract with us, and we discussed a few changes.  He will be sending us a final copy for another look-over tomorrow.  Once everything is approved, they can start working.  His 2 carpenter guys will need about 2 weeks in the house before the painter.  We will also have a "project manager" who will be on site at times.  After the painter is done, then we'll have the carpet installed.  So, we are probably looking at the month of April for all the work.  The plan was to be done with all the remodeling by May 1, and he seems to think this is doable.  

Sorry - no photos today.  I'll try to come up with some photos for you tomorrow!  Good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment