Sunday, December 20, 2015

Another Divergence into the Music World



Have you heard of this group?  If you haven't, then you need to get them on your radar.  They are FANTABULOUS!  On Friday night, I attended my 2nd live concert with them.  My first rondezvous with them was about a year ago.  (I can't figure out why I didn't blog about it then!)  Once I saw them, I knew that I HAD to have tickets if they ever came back to Columbus.  The minute I found out they were going to be here again this year, I was on TicketMaster ordering!  

Friday, December 18, 2015 - Palace Theatre - seat T2.  WHOOO HOOO!!!

Ok, let me calm myself here and give some history of the group.  The group was founded in 1996 at Indiana University in Bloomington.  They were popular/famous just locally until about 2006 when a video of one of their most popular songs went viral online.  That led to a contract with Atlantic Records, and then the TV appearances and national tour began, followed by an international tour and even more appearances.  Now, the quantity of their music online is HUGE.  If you search them on YouTube (they have their own channel), you will find just about every version of every song they've ever done.  There are also videos available on their website. They make videos that are separate from their concerts, but they also encourage audience members to record their concerts and post them online, so that is the source of many videos.  

So, here's the thing.  The group sings a cappella - no instruments or sound effects or anything other than what comes out of their mouths into microphones.  10 guys (the individuals have varied somewhat over the years) - made up of 4 tenors, 3 baritones, 2 basses and a vocal percussionist. 

Enough talking from me.  Let's listen to some GREAT Music!  

Here is the 1998 version of The 12 Day of Christmas which is really what started this ball rolling:


Next is the video version of a song I heard for the first time on Friday.  It is a great example of one of the many songs that they have created or arranged for their own performance, and it is also another great example of their use of humor:



Here is one of my faves from last year's concert  (the concert version) - the Broadway Medley:


So far, everything I've shared here has been humorous, but they also do just "straight" amazing singing without the humor.  Here is a song from Friday night that I recorded on my phone - Take Me To Church:



  This is one of my favorites of theirs - All About That Bass




I'm going to leave you with one last upload from my phone.  This intro is done by Seggie Isho - he's my FAVE!  ;)  - you will recognize the song....




Ok - I'm not leaving yet - I've got more photos to share - Here is this year's tour photo:





OK - Now I'm done!  Hope you enjoyed this fun romp with me. 
Go see them!  I promise you won't be disappointed!  

Bye for now!

:)Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment