Friday, April 1, 2016

A New Renovation Project - Share your advice!

Hello Friends!

Today's blog entry is going to introduce you to my Kitchen Remodeling project.  Those of you who have been with me for years might remember the House Remodeling that happened in 2012.  At that time, we did nothing to the kitchen at New House.  Now, it's time!

I started the process with estimates from 2 local remodelers, and I have selected the company I want to work with.  (More about the companies involved later.) Now I am in the process of selecting the finishes and products.

For cabinets I am looking for a warm golden brown wood cabinet in the craftsman style (sometimes also called Arts & Crafts, or Mission or even Prairie).  So far, I have selected a cabinet style from KraftMaid called  Townsend.  Here it is in my kitchen next to my existing flooring:

This is "Honey Spice" color. 

Here are some samples of a shade darker called "Fawn".  

In these photos, the samples look more blond than they do in person.  In the light of my kitchen, they have a much warmer and richer look to them.   I have chosen the Fawn color because it matches the cabinets that are already hanging in my laundry room.  
On the Kraftmaid website, the colors look very different again.  



If you do a Google Image search of any of these style names, you will get a bazillion photos of variations of this style.  

Next comes counter tops and backsplashes.  After much homework online and conversation with a kitchen designer, I've decided on quartz counter tops.   There is much info online about the benefits of quartz vs. granite vs. laminate.  The main selling point for me was that quartz is not porous and doesn't have to be sealed periodically to remain stain resistent.  It is also heavier and harder than the other options, so it is much more resistent to any damage.  I do not want any surfaces that have to be babied or treated a certain way in order to stay nice.  My kitchen doesn't get direct sunlight either, so there won't be any fading from direct sun.  I asked about an "Eco" counter which is made of recycled materials.  The designer I spoke with said they are more expensive, offer fewer color/style options and often come from manufacturers that don't stay in business long.  She did not have a good opinion of that option.  

My quartz manufacturer of choice is Cambria. Design options from Cambria They offer many different color and style options, and they are a US company.  Another option is Silestone, but that us made in China, which I am not thrilled with.  Silestone Color Choices

Let's look at Counter tops, shall we:


Option 1

This is Lincolnshire by Cambria.  It is ok, but both Hubs and I feel it has a tad too much black in it.  




Option 2

This option is Quasar by Silestone.  So far it is everyone's favorite,  My two concerns are that it is too much like the backsplash - maybe we need more contrast - and it is made in China.





Option 3

This is Linwood by Cambria.  It is very similar to Option 1 without the black.  This is what I am leaning towards right now because of the contrast it offers.  I would love to hear your preferences.  Please tell me what you think:  Quasar or Linwood?  

The backsplash you are seeing in all of these photos is the handsdown fave of both Hubs and me. This is American Olean - Laural Heights - Elevated Beige.   It is porcelain tile.  I like the variety in it, and it really goes well with the cabinet color:


As of now, the plan is to replace all the cabinets, countertop/sink and backsplash.  We are not changing the basic footprint, existing flooring which is laminate, or appliances.  

One of the reasons I am doing this is because the lower cabinets have a lot of wasted space in them.  they are too deep to easily get into without kneeling on the floor, and I can't do that.  So I am asking for slide-out shelves in all the lower cabinets.  

Also, we have a dishwasher that is a-n-c-i-e-n-t.  I actually store all my dishtowels, aprons, baggies, etc, in it.  Hubs and I have never used a dishwasher since we've been married.  Ever.  My mother used one for decades, and it ruined her dishes.  Hubs and I don't cook enough big messy meals to make it worthwhile, and we really don't want to have to get new dishes in a few years just because the extreme heat of the dishwasher ruined what we liked.  So - brace yourselves - I'm having the dishwasher replaced with deep drawers.  I am also telling the designer to make sure that space is the right size for a dishwasher so that a new owner in the future can easily have one put in.  

The plan is to have this done in July.  It will take about 3 weeks because once the cabinets are installed, then the quartz people will measure for countertop and that will take a couple of weeks to come in.  My contractor has agreed to put in a temporary countertop and sink while we wait so the kitchen can still be used during the wait time.  

The only things that have not been selected yet are the sink and faucet.  I am looking into getting a quartz-composite sink.  My designer says they are the way to go for durability.  It will be an undermount as well.  I will talk more about this once I've looked at options.

Please let me know your thoughts on the countertops when you get a chance!

THANKS!
:)Amy












No comments:

Post a Comment