Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Air Force Comes To Town!

Have you ever seen an Air Force C-17 in person?

Have you ever had an Air Force C-17 fly over your house?

We are sort of used to jets flying over because we are on a flight path for Port Columbus International Airport, but they are usually 2-engine jets and are fairly high.  Today, about 1 pm, I had just gotten off the phone with Hubs, and I was in the 3-season room when I heard a very loud plane overhead.  I went out on to the patio and right above my head was the biggest plane I've ever seen in my life!  I pulled out my phone to get a picture, but by the time I got the camera on, the plane was over the house and gone.

About 15 min later, I heard the roar again, and I looked out to see a plane of the same size, in line to go over the house again from northeast to southwest.  Could it have been a 2nd one?  It was very low and looked like a cargo plane rather than a passenger jet.

Then it was 1:30.... and here it comes again, this time more from straight north, and after it flies directly over the house, it banks to the right.

By this time Hubs was with me, and we were pulling in the driveway.  He suggested he thought it was the same plane flying a circle in a holding pattern.  We both took our cameras out onto the patio and waited...  about 1:40 it came again, and this time we were ready for filming.  I got some great stills and Hubs got a great video.

The last time it went over was about 1:55.  Again, more photography ensued.

I kept watching for it while Hubs started processing the photos.  By looking at the photos, we could see "USAF" under the wing - and it was a 4-engine beast.  His research led to the discovery that it was a C-17.

Here are some of the photos I took:




Here is a photo that Hubs found online which matched ours:


Here is the video he shot:


Absolutely Amazing!  In watching the 11:00 news tonight, we learned that this plane was in town for a parachute training event at OSU's Don Scott field, but it ended up being canceled because of the wind.  They are going to try again tomorrow between 1:00 and 3:00.  Maybe we will see The Big Guy again!  Evidently, people called the TV station to ask why this big plane was flying over their houses!

Happy Flying!

:)Amy




2 comments:

  1. We recently watched a show on the Smithsonian Channel about the C-5 Galaxy, another HUGE military cargo plane. We had the opportunity to walk into the cargo bay of a C-17 at an air show in Fort Wayne about 20 years ago. When you see them up close, you wonder how something that large can fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently watched a show on the Smithsonian Channel about the C-5 Galaxy, another HUGE military cargo plane. We had the opportunity to walk into the cargo bay of a C-17 at an air show in Fort Wayne about 20 years ago. When you see them up close, you wonder how something that large can fly!

    ReplyDelete