Monday, June 27, 2016

The Odyssey Continues - What Happens on Vacation...

Hello Friends,

It is about time for the June weight-loss report.  However, today's summary is not going to be about weight "loss".  I am just coming off of a week of vacation decadence, and I have gained a few pounds, but I'm ok with this.  As I've stated before, I am not on a diet, but rather experiencing a lifestyle change.  Vacations are part of life, as are the consequences of eating differently on vacation.

I have just returned from a fabulous week of vacationing in New Hampshire and Maine where almost all of my meals were in restaurants.  I decided before I left home that I was not going to be tracking on my WW app, and I was going to allow myself to enjoy food items that are unique to the area or special.  That being said, I wasn't going to throw all caution to the wind and be reckless either.

Breakfast was the easiest time to "behave" as the restaurants are not pushing decadent desserts at 8 am.  I drank iced tea rather than sugary juices, I ordered mixed fruit, and I had protein of some sort - either sausage or bacon.  (I usually didn't have eggs because real eggs cause digestive issues, and it can be a pain to ask restaurants if they have Egg-Beaters, so I only did that once where they actually had "Egg-Beaters available" listed  on the menu.)  Additionally, I had a toasted English muffin with jam most days, and a bagel with low fat cream cheese once.

Lunch and dinner had 1 theme: Lobster!  I was in Maine after all, and I was determined to have lobster at least once a day.  By itself, lobster is great as far as WW points go.  6oz of lobster meat is only 2 pts.!  However, it is the sauce, etc... that is on the lobster and how it is prepared that can cause problems.  For example, one day for lunch I had lobster salad (think chicken salad with lobster meat instead of chicken), and I have NO idea what was in the dressing.  It wasn't heavy and didn't seem like it had extremes of mayo or sugar.  Another day I had a lovely salad with lobster added - just plain chunks of meat that were not coated.

I don't typically take photos of my food, and I have made fun of people who do, but I actually did it on this trip.  Here are some examples of my lobster indulgences:

One night, we (I was traveling with my cousin) ate at a restaurant called The Wild Blueberry in Ogunquit, Maine.  My first course was Lobster and Avacado Salad.  It was literally ALL lobster meat and diced avocado with very little else.  There may have been some light, lemony, something on it to hold it together, but there was no dressing that I could tell.  This may have been the BEST thing I ate on this trip.  The flavor combo of lobster and avocado was amazing!


For dessert that night, I had to have the house specialty:  blueberry cobbler with blueberry ice cream. (Sorry, no photo of this one!) Instead, here is a photo of The Wild Blueberry Restaurant.  It was absolutely lovely - I highly recommend it!



Probably the most decadent lobster meal I had was for brunch at The Maine Diner which is famous for being featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on The Food Network with Guy Fiere.



There is a lot of good stuff on the very extensive menu, but I specifically looked for lobster items.  Once I saw The Lobster Melt, I was IN!  Picture this: a toasted English muffin laid open on the plate topped with slices of tomato, a PILE of lobster meat, and then coated with a ton of cheese and melted under the broiler.  Let me help you with this picture:


O-M-G !!!  This was AMAZINGLY Yummy!  I took my time and savored every bite because I knew I was probably never going to have anything like this again.  I also knew it was my last meal in Maine.  Yes, the cheese was bad as far as points go, but I can live with that!!

Then there are the desserts.  Yes, I had dessert once a day - usually at dinner.  One night it was mixed berry pie.  Another night, my cousin and I split something called "A Donut and Coffee" which was a grilled honey-glazed donut topped with coffee ice cream and an espresso glaze.  Probably the most decadent dessert was in our hotel dining room and was called Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pie.  Here it is in all its glory:


It was almost too pretty to eat.... but I ate it all anyway!  

Other items I enjoyed:  Lobster bisque, lobster rangoon (like little triangles of crab rangoon at local Chinese restaurants, only better), bacon wrapped scallops, peanut butter gelato with chocolate chips.

I will add one other point - I didn't snack - at all.  I took no snacks with me and didn't buy any, so I only ate my 3 meals a day.  

... and now here we are... home again.  My weight before I left on this trip was 215#.  The day after I returned, I weighed in at 219#.  I know I will probably continue to go up as all this food settles in, but I'm ok with it.  I enjoyed every morsel of food, and now I am back on program with tracking every bite.  

Thanks for visiting today!  Stay tuned for more about my vacations!

:)Amy











No comments:

Post a Comment