Friday, August 9, 2013

PT Evaluation and Progress at 8 weeks

When I arrived at my PT session yesterday, Kristen informed me that it was time for her to do an evaluation.  We sat and talked first.  She asked me a lot of questions about my progress:  How was I sleeping? (I told her I sleep well.)  What did I still feel uncomfortable doing? (stairs, mainly because I haven't tried)  How close do I feel I am to being able to do the things I want to do? (75%?)

Then we went for a walk.  We went out of the PT area to the stairway off the main lobby of the building.  The stairwell was nice - carpeted and with nice hand-rails on both sides.  I told her I had not done a staircase yet.  We started with going down.  I was allowed to hold on to the rails on both sides, but she wanted me to go down with 1 foot per step - like normal, healthy people do.  Much to my surprise and delight, I was able to do it!  I went down about 24 stairs.  Then we turned around and came back up - again, with 1 foot per step.  That actually seemed easy to me, but I don't think I would have tried it without holding on.  It greatly eased my mind to know I could do a stairway like that.  Both my home and my school are virtually stairs-free, but the rest of the world isn't.

Kristen also measured me again.  I was able to get to 104 degrees on the bend, and I was still at 5 degrees on the flattening.  I'm happy with that.

Then we had a talk about my future visits.  According to my insurance company, I have 4 left for the calendar year.  She asked if I wanted to use them all or save some.  She suggested that a lot of people like to save a few just in case something else comes up.  I told her I wanted to do what was best for my progress.  She said that since I'm going back to school and will be getting all the exercise from that - and also starting back to water aerobics in Sept, that maybe I should save the remaining sessions.  She also then revealed to me that Aug 22 will be her last day in this office as she has taken a job at a different therapy office where she will be the manager.

I had already scheduled the last 4 for the next 4 weeks, but after our conversation, I decided to cancel 3 of the 4.  I will get my last session in with her before she leaves and then I will save the last 3.  She said I can transfer to the other office if I want to do more sessions later.

And so, I am being phased out of physical therapy.  I am not doing many exercises at home now.  This past week, I went to school 4 of the 5 days, and I felt that was therapy since I was walking a lot and moving things, etc...  I have still done my Zebra squeezes each night before bed.  I will probably exercise some this weekend, but I imagine I will be very tired next week with going back to school.

I am still stiff when I've been sitting for awhile, but I feel that when I am up and moving around, much of my swelling and stiffness is greatly reduced.  I feel that once I get moving, I don't limp much, if at all, and sometimes that limp comes from the other leg.  I still get occasional pains in Bessie, but they are very brief.

 My scar changes color.  Sometimes it is dark reddish-purple. Sometimes it is pink.  Sometimes it is very hard to see and sometimes it really stands out.  I was able to show it off to some colleagues this week.  I referred to it as my "red badge of courage".  I still put scar gel on after I shower.

Hubs asked if I ever forget I had surgery.  I do.  It usually isn't long before something reminds me though.  Occasionally when I'm lying in bed, I think, "Wow - nothing hurts!"  And I try to savor that feeling as long as I can!

I start back to water aerobics on Sept 3; however, Sept 11 is the next milestone for me - that will be 3 months.  I hope to be able to report significant changes by then.

I'll keep you posted on how Bessie gets along at school.  I have my story to tell in response to "what did you do this summer?"   "Oh, I read a lot of books and watched a lot of TV and movies, and I got out of doing yard work!"  How could a summer be more perfect than that?!

We'll talk again soon...

:)Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment