Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Odyssey Begins

An odyssey is defined as a long, difficult journey filled with adventures.  A person who is on an odyssey is usually greatly changed by the experience.  My odyssey began on September 2, 2015. That's the day I attended my first Weight Watchers meeting.  

Regular readers here will remember that I recently stepped up my tech game and invested in an iPhone. That decision was the result of several events, but the last straw fell at my first WW meeting when I learned about the WW Food Tracker App. I knew that if this weight loss program was going to work for me I was going to have to have this convenience. When I left the first meeting on that Wednesday afternoon, I went straight to my local AT&T store and ordered my phone. I picked it up on Saturday the fifth, and the WW App was the very first thing I downloaded.

I have hesitated for 5 weeks to blog about this newest adventure in my life for several reasons.  One - I hear the voice of Hubs who is fond of saying "Don't tell people what you are going to do; tell them what you've done."  Two - I have begun so many, many weight loss programs in my life which have had minimal, if any, success, so I really didn't want to crow about how wonderful this is only to have to say "never mind" later.  Three - there was also some appeal in the idea of surprising people with the results when they see me looking different.  However, I have finally decided that I want to share this with anyone who will take the time to read about my odyssey because I am a teacher. Much as was the case with documenting my knee surgery, I want to document this process for myself, and I also want people to be able to learn from my experience.

Let me start with today's progress, and then I will do some back-tracking in future entries.  Saturday is my weigh-in day for the website. As of yesterday I have lost 16 pounds in 5 weeks.  If we do the math, we see that is more than 3 pounds per week.  Believe it or not, that is more than WW recommends. They advise 2 lbs per week.  I know that I will hit a plateau at some point, so I'm not worried about losing too fast.  

I also "officially" weigh in at my Wednesday meetings, and that gets recorded in my book.  These two weigh-ins don't always match, but they are usually close enough.

And so Amy’s Odyssey of Lifestyle Change has begun.  I know enough about this whole weight-loss thing to know that there are going to be speed bumps on this road, and some of them will be totally unexpected.  I also know this journey is a marathon and not a sprint (gosh do those statements combined with “the odyssey” constitute a triple-mixed metaphor?)  What I can tell you for sure is that so far I’ve not felt hungry or deprived, and right now I don’t forsee any reason that I would want to bail out of this system.  I can honestly see myself living with WW for the rest of my life.  Stay tuned for more of my philosophical thoughts about all of this in the days ahead.

Thanks for reading.  Please come back again soon!

:)Amy

P.S. Don’t forget to feed the fish.  They don't need to lose weight!




No comments:

Post a Comment