Friday, April 13, 2012

I do not have Triskaidekaphobia..

...just in case anyone was wondering.  I also survived today quite well, aside from the fact that my wallet is a bit lighter.

Today, John, the owner of Columbus Handyman, called a meeting with us to go over some final details and collect the 2nd installment of our payment.  We have now "officially" ordered the new front door, the labor cost for which was already built in to our contract - we just need to pay for the doors themselves (main door and storm door).  Nope - I will NOT share any more details about the door than that.  I don't care how much you beg!!! You will just have to WAIT, so sit back and relax.  In a few weeks, you will get to see my favorite part of the renovation!

After John left, we had some very interesting conversations with Drake.  He's the carpenter who has done most of the work this week.  Today, he went door by door and fitted each one individually to the frame it's in.  While he had them off, he also drilled holes for the knobs.  He talked with us for quite awhile about the process of fitting the doors.  Anyone who thinks they can just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy replacement doors and put them in is in for a rude awakening!  Unless the person happens to be an experienced carpenter with just the right tools, it's just not gonna be a good experience for anyone.  There was a time when I thought Hubs and I could actually do that ourselves here.  HA!  Now, I know better!

Drake also spent part of his day installing some of the light fixtures.  He said every one was a challenge because each required some special fitting for one reason or another.  He did the entry hall light while we were there, and he had quite a time with it.  At one point I asked him if he grunts and groans as much when he there working alone or if that was for our benefit, and he assured me he does it when he's working alone.

Here is a "before" pic of the old entry hall light fixture:


Here are some "after" pics.  There is an inner globe and an outer globe and both have to be removed to change the bulbs (there are 2 - 60 watt'ers).  He had quite a time getting them on right, so let's hope we never have to change a bulb!  For the record, this is NOT the fixture that I had to wash in the restroom at Lowe's. This one was brand new from the box.  




He also installed the exterior light fixtures today.  It seems I don't have any "before" photos of these.  I will have to ask Hubs if he has any.  They were what we affectionately call "jelly jar" fixtures.  You can still buy them for about $5.  They were really ugly - tarnished, rusting, etc...  So here are the new fixtures, in keeping with the Craftsman theme.  The first one is outside the Porch, and the other is outside the people door into the side of the garage.




When we arrived at the house today in preparation for our meeting with John, neighbor-Betty was in the driveway talking with Drake the carpenter.  I asked her if she'd like to see the progress or if she wanted to wait until it was done.  She jumped at the chance for a quick tour, so I showed her what's been done so far. She seemed very impressed and was complimentary of our color choices.  (What's not to love?!)

Another topic of conversation today with Drake was the bathroom vanity.  As I think I may have mentioned previously, when I bought it, I didn't consider the fact that it needed to fit flush in the corner.  This is, in fact, one of those vanities that is designed to look like a piece of furniture, rather than to look "built-in".  I was afraid they were going to tell me I had to take it back and get a different style, but they didn't.  We all crowded into the small bathroom to discuss the issue, and agreed that we will just pull it out from the side wall about an inch.  Yes, that will require cleaning between the vanity and the wall, but the alternative was picking something else, and I didn't really see anything else I liked as well.  So, I will suck it up and clean beside the gosh-darn thing!


One issue is the top - it has that decorative beveled edge which hangs over the cabinet.  The other issue is the door.  The outside edge of that is right on the edge of the cabinet.  There is no frame that it sits inside, so the side of the cabinet can't be next to the wall, otherwise that door would rub every time it was opened.  They will have to move it out again to install the ceramic tile, but at least we know where it will go.  

I think that's about it for today's summary.  One thing we need to do over the weekend is lay out the entry tiles in the pattern we want, so we can see what it looks like.  John thinks they may be done by Tuesday the 24th.  Hubs and I are skep-a-tickle.   Early next week, we need to pay for the carpet so it can be officially ordered.  Once we get a firm "finished" date from John, we can schedule installation.  It will probably take a couple of weeks to get the door after it is ordered on Monday, so that may be the last thing that is done.  

To do list (in no particular order):  hall light fixture, bathroom exhaust fan, pantry light and garage light.  Install shelves in both front bedrooms. Put 2nd coat of paint on everything.  Hang bi-fold closet doors.  Install all door knobs.  Finish bathroom - ceramic tile floor, vanity, reset toilet, grab bar in shower.  Install entry hall ceramic tile.  Then comes the front door installation, and then comes the carpet.  2 weeks?  I really don't think so!!

This weekend we will go over and tidy things up a bit.  We'll play with our tile pattern.  That's about it.  

Don't forget to visit the penguins and feed the fish!  :)







No comments:

Post a Comment