Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Diversion - Book Report

Hello!

2018's first Summer Read has been completed:  The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve. 



I have always been a huge Shreve fan.  I've read all of her books and so far have only been disappointed by one (Stella Bain - let's not go there).  While this week's read was not the best book on the Shreve shelf, it was enjoyable. 

The basic story is about Grace.  Grace is a young mother of 2 who lives in a small town on the coast of Maine in the late '40s.  As the coastline gets ravaged by a huge wildfire, Grace saves her children while their house burns to the ground.  Meanwhile, her husband is off with other men in the town trying to stop the fire.  Most of the book is about their life after the fire. 

Parts of the plot are sort of predictable, but there is some suspense and some romance (minimal, unfortunately).  While I wouldn't label this book as "gripping", I looked forward to reading it and had no trouble finishing it. 

One thing that is somewhat unique about this book is that it is written in present tense from Grace's perspective.  I am so used to reading fiction in past tense, that this took some getting used to, but once I got used to it, it was fine.  I can see this book making a very good movie as well. 

There you go!  Happy Reading!

:)Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment