Thursday, June 28, 2018

Tillie's Progress compared to Bessie's

Hello!

I am now on Day 16 since Tillie's surgery.  I had some time this morning, so I went back through Bessie's Blog Entries to do some comparisons.  I already knew there are huge differences in the speed of my current recovery compared to 5 years ago, but until I actually made a specific list, I didn't realize how many things are different.  Here is a partial list of the big stuff:


  • Bessie couldn't lift herself off the bed until day 21!  Tillie could do that when she arrived home on day 2 !  
  • Bessie took 17 days to get to a 90 degree bend.  Tillie hit that on day 10. 
  • Bessie was still relying on the walker on Day 14.  Tillie has been off the walker in the bedroom since Day 5 or 6 and in the house since about Day 7.  I only used the walker for the next 7 days to roll the leg pump contraption around.  
  • Bessie had to wait until Day 17 before the PT told her she could walk outside!  WHAT?  Tillie was walking outside - with a CANE - on Day 11.  Bessie didn't make it outside with a cane until Day 25!  WHAT?  That is just CRAZY!
  • On Day 8, Tillie rode in a car with a friend to the Doc's office, walked into the waiting area using a cane, to get a Rx renewal. On Day 20, Tillie rode with a friend to a meeting at South where she walked into the school with a cane - cafeteria and auditorium. 
The big question is: Why is Tillie's recovery happening so much faster than Bessie's?  Well, I think there are some good reasons:
  1. 5 years ago, when Bessie was operated on, she was in really really bad shape, and so was Tillie.  She had been in almost constant pain for years and had actually "gone out" more than once.  I had not been able to take walks or do much healthy exercise (except water aerobics) for years.  
  2. After Bessie's surgery, I was able to do much more healthy walking.  It has been a regular thing for the last couple of years to walk at the local parks.  I even took walks at school (10 min = 1000 steps!) 
  3. Once Bessie was in good shape, she was able to take some of the load off of Tillie, so Tillie got a lot better herself.  She wasn't in constant pain going into surgery.  In fact, it was just the pain she's had for the last year that led me to decide to have this surgery.  
  4. I spent 2 years losing weight on Weight Watchers, and at the time of Tillie's Big Day, I was down about 50 pounds from Bessie's Big Day.  
  5. I was more prepared for this surgery because I had been exercising both girls by pushing down my knees on the bed at night - exercising my quads.  
  6. I came out of this surgery already having 1 good leg.  Before, neither leg was good, so it was an uphill battle with neither of them helping the other.  
So, there you have it - a little comparison for your reading pleasure!

Thanks for sticking with me!  I know it isn't nearly exciting as last time!  Oh well, you'll just have to find other ways to be excited!

Talk to you soonly!
:)Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment