Friday, June 22, 2018

Tillie's Progress Continues to Amaze!

Hello again!

I am writing this on Friday, June 22 - Day 10.  PT Kevin was here today, and with his help, Tillie hit 90 degrees of bend!  I was so excited I almost cried!  In reading back over Bessie's Blog, I see that she didn't hit 90 until Day 17.  It doesn't surprise me that I am a week ahead of where I was before.  I'm thrilled that when I go to my doc's on Monday to have my staples removed, I will get to show him my progress! 

I have now also cut my meds at least in half if not more.  That's huge too.  I sort of felt like I was over-medicated, so I just started cutting.  Instead of 2 pills at once, I started taking 1, and I also lengthened the time between them especially on the hard stuff.  I also try to plan taking them around my therapy sessions. 

One thing Kevin is doing that I think is most helpful is he actually squeezes Tillie, and his having control over that is much more successful than my pulling on her.  I don't stop squeezing because of pain, I just stop when she won't go any farther.  He sits on the edge of the bed, and I put my foot on his shoulder with my knee bent, and he pushes.  He moves very slowly and holds for probably at least 10 sec before he backs off.  He pushes until I start wincing, but that is what is getting me to 90 degrees.  I wouldn't be there on my own. 

The swelling above my knee seems worse.  Part of it is that I have fat legs, but the swelling seems to be accentuated right above the crease in my knee and toward the inside.  Today he told me that to reduce swelling I need to do more toes over nose.  That means me lying on my back with my head low (1 pillow), and my leg up on 3 pillows and angled so that I can wiggle my toes and push my knee down.  I should also have ice packs on my knee and do all this for 20 min.  This is probably the most uncomfortable thing I have to do.  When the 20 min alarm goes off, I am DONE!

Today, Kevin had me step onto and off of a 6" box.  (Last time he brought a 4" box.)  Stepping up on the box is hard, and I wouldn't be able to do it without holding on to the kitchen counter.  He also had me balance on a foam pad today.  That was also challenging, but my balance has never been great anyway.  He is also having me march in place, do heal-to-toe lines walking along the counter, do side raises and then tip-toe and rock back on heel. 

The other thing he is having me do is use a black Theraband. I close it in the bedroom door, and then put it around my knee and pull back on it until I am tight and hold for 10 sec.  He remains impressed with my progress.  I told him this is my full-time job right now - it is my life. I don't understand the people who have surgery and then don't exercise.  What's up with that?  What a waste! 

I have Kevin coming to the house M-W-F next week then I will start going to the office.  I'll let you know how the staple-pulling goes on Monday!

Have a great weekend and thanks for sticking with me!

:)Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment