Tuesday, July 9, 2013

4 weeks - My, how time flies!

Can anyone believe that my surgery was just 4 weeks ago today?  In some ways it has gone very fast, and in other ways, it hasn't, but what is certain is that I am making far better progress far faster than I ever thought was possible!  YAY!

Today I was back in the PT office with my head PT Kristen.  I did call her yesterday to discuss the whole manipulation thing, and I think that conversation really helped both of us.  I think she appreciated knowing my reaction to the procedure, and I appreciated her willingness to take my experience into consideration.  She said that everyone is different and the communication is essential for good therapy.  Today, both the men on her team were off, so it was just her.  She does the scar-tissue-massage very differently than Jim did.  We talked a lot about it, and it was helpful for me to get feedback on what I've been doing at home too.  She did confirm that will be done every time I go in.

I told her that my knee has been clicking for the last couple of days with every step I take.  She said that is a result of scar tissue and swelling and it is very normal.  She also said that it can take 3-6 months for the swelling to completely go away with a total knee replacement.  It was a relief to know the clicking was not the result of a loose screw!  Of course, the irony with the swelling is that the more you are on it, the more it will swell, but you have to keep moving so it doesn't stiffen up.  If you just sit around with the leg up all the time, it won't heal properly, nor have the desired range of motion.  So I guess I put up with the swelling.

Today we did some new exercises.  I laid on a table with my feet up on an elevated bar at the end.  I pushed against the bar and the table moved back.  I did that with the middle of each foot on, and then knees flexed and extended - kind of like squats on my back.  Then I did it with the balls of my feet on the bar and just dropped my heal - so it was kind of like standing on tip-toes only in a horizontal position.   I also stepped up on a 6" step - not just putting my foot up on it like last time, but actually lifting my body up on it - both from the front (as I would do going up steps) but also to the side.  I did another exercise at a machine where I had to pull against a weight strapped around my ankle.  I ended the session with 15 min of electrodes and ice again.  She let me control the temp on the ice so it didn't feel like it was freezing my flesh.

Overall, it was a very productive session!!  I am totally off my cane in the house now, but I would not go outside without it.

I hope everyone out there is having a great day!  Talk to you again soon!

:)Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment