Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Shopping Expedition or Dressing the Sausage!

Those of you who know me, know that I am not what some people would call particularly "fashion conscious".  While I do like to look decent, and I like to dress professionally for school, I don't spend too much time worrying about whether I am wearing the latest trends.  I am also not a fancy dresser (although I can dress up for the right occasion).  I am  not the type of person to get rid of perfectly good clothes that I like just because they are out of season (or even out of decade!).  Because of my size and shape, I've always had trouble finding clothes that fit me well, so when I find things that do fit, I tend to keep them until they wear out or until I can't stand them anymore.  (Much to the chagrin of one of my colleagues who has remarked on my "80s" wardrobe - yes, you know who you are!)  Also, for the last 9 years or so, as I've suffered with worsening knees, I've had increasing trouble shopping for clothes, which is another reason I tend to hang on to the past.

My current situation has presented a bit of a problem - not with clothes, but with shoes.  Bessie is quite clearly larger than my right leg.  All the way from above my knee to my foot which is puffed out like a sausage casing with too much meat shoved into it! When I look in the mirror at my legs side-by-side, they look like they belong on 2 different bodies!   I'm told by my doc and my PT that this situation of swelling is likely to last for months yet.  This presents a problem with school shoes.

All summer I've been wearing 1 pair of sandals with stretchy straps that easily accommodate my sausage foot, but I can't (or rather won't) wear them to school.  Yesterday, with a very dedicated friend who has been with me through this whole process, I set out to the shoe store to find school shoes.  I thought I might have to buy 2 pairs of different sizes - one for the right and one for the left.  However, it turned out that I was able to find shoes where the same pair fit both feet.  The good news is that I found 3 pair that fit, and I didn't feel like I had to settle for the only shoes in the store that would fit.  I'm actually happy with what I got.

None of these shoes were purchased for fashion, but they aren't "ugly" by any means.  They are all black, and my hope is that they will disappear below my pants and will not stand out and draw attention to my sausage.

My store of choice was DSW because of its huge selection.  I had only shopped there once before, and didn't find what I wanted then.  I look forward to a time when I can buy "cute" shoes that are fashionable once again, but for now I will dress my sausage and get on with life!

:) Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment