Thursday, July 18, 2013

What? More Bragging? Sheesh!

Some of you may be getting tired of hearing me brag about my accomplishments.  If you are one of those people, then you might want to skip this entry and give yourself a break from the brag-fest.

If you are still with me, thank you, and here is today's brag:

I had PT today.  I told my PT Kristen that I have my 6-weeks doc appt on Monday, and I asked if she could measure me.  She obliged willingly.

So, there are 2 measurements that matter to physical therapists in these situations.  The first is how much I can bend my knee.  I've talked about that before, and the last time I noted this measurement here, I was at 90 degrees.  For comparison purposes, my other knee - the one that was not replaced - was measured at 94 degrees when I started doing my therapy at the facility.  Today, she measure Bessie at .....

wait for it........

100 degrees !!!!!

WOO HOOO !!!!!

The second measurement that is important is how straight my leg is when it is stretched out flat.  On my evaluation upon entry into the PT facility, this was measured in both legs.  At that time, my old, un-replaced knee was at 11 degrees and Bessie was at 16 degrees.  As of today, Bessie is at 5 degrees !!!!

WOO HOOOO again !!!!! 

Just recently, I started having Hubs push down on Bessie which is something that Kristen does.  She said she thinks it is helping!  I have him put his palm just above my knee.  Then he pushed down until I tell him to stop (which is just before I would typically say OUCH) and then he holds it for a count of 10.  We do that about 3 times during each exercise session.

The longstanding goal for my knee bend is 110 degrees, so I'm almost there.  The goal for the flat measurement is 0, but she said everyone will be happy with 5.  I'm hoping that I get big praise from Doc on Monday.  If he doesn't praise me enough then I will crow about my accomplishments to him!!!

Ok - that's it for today.  I promise not to brag any more for the next few days, so you can take a break from your celebrating... while I take a nap!  ;)

Thanks for hangin' in here with me!  Your support really means a lot!

:)Amy








1 comment:

  1. Go! Go!
    Terrific progress! Keep it up and you will be the Stakhanovite of knee replacement!

    ReplyDelete