Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 22 PT

Today was my first real work-out at the PT facility.   I worked with Jim, who is an athletic trainer at one of the local high schools (not mine).  The PTs in this office are in teams of 3, so Kristen is the team leader and then Jim is one of her 2 assistants.

Jim started me off on a stationary bike, but he didn't have me actually pedal all the way around.  I just rocked my legs back and forth, and when my right foot pushed the pedal forward, that would force Bessie to squeeze up... so the goal was to squeeze and let up.... alternating for 5 minutes.  That was my warm-up.  Then he took me to the table and had me lie on my back while he manipulated my knee.  He pushed and pulled and rubbed and squeezed and massaged - some above, some below and some on the knee.  He wiggled my knee cap.  None of what he did hurt, but there were a couple of places that he touched that were a little sensitive - mainly right on my scar.  He explained why he was doing what he was doing.  Part of it involves loosening scar tissue.  I told him that I have been massaging my scar, but I can't tell that it is softening up much.  He said it takes a long time.  He also said that there is still swelling inside, and it takes a long time for that to completely go away as well.   (My left foot is still swollen, but the ankle and lower leg has gone down a lot.)

Jim was very mindful of the issue of not inflaming my right knee, and I was glad to hear that, because that was one of my concerns.  After he did the manipulation, he asked if I could still raise my leg off the table, so I showed off for him and I could!!!

We did a series of exercises with me standing at a bar to hold onto.  I did toe-heal raises (20x), I moved my left foot up onto a 6" step and back down (20x) - but didn't actually step up onto it yet.  I stood on my left leg for 30 sec at a time (4x).  I did 20 squats there as well.  Then he took me to another machine where he had me step into a loop which he pulled up to my knee and I had to pull my leg back against it, straightening my knee each time.  Back at the table, he had me sit on the side and kick Bessie straight out.  I can't get her totally straight yet, but we're about 80% there.  After that he had me lie back down, and he measured my passive bend at 90 degrees.  He didn't force the bend at all.  That is up from 84 on Monday, so he was impressed with that.  So was I !!!

We ended with the electrodes for 15 min - 4 this time, but no ice.  I told him it was painfully cold last time, so he left it off.  The electrodes are supposed to help with pain, so I am not taking any pain meds, and I want to see how long the effect of the electrodes lasts.  I am going to go put an ice pack on it for awhile while I watch TV.

So, that's my big adventure for today.  Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone has a great holiday!

Happy 4th !!!

:)Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment