Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 20 - New PT Facility

Today I started my Physical Therapy at the office that is connected to my surgeon's office.   I knew this was to be an "evaluation" visit, but I thought we'd do a little more actual therapy than we did.  I was a little disappointed in the lack of rigor in today's visit.

First, I sat and talked with my PT, Kristen.  She asked about the history of my knee problems and about the exercises I've been doing on my own at home.  She seemed impressed by the long list of things I've been doing (Yea, Andrew!), so that was good.

She also asked what my goals were for our therapy sessions.  There are basically 3 things I hope to be able to do once I am done with therapy:  1 - to be able to do an entire grocery-shopping expedition without having to sit down half-way through, and without having to use the electric cart.  2 - to be able to walk the nature trails at our local park with Hubs (he has very generously been pushing me in a wheelchair there for the last year or so).  3 - to be able to return to my regular water aerobics class.  Since I chose the surgery for the knee which has historically given me the most trouble, I am hoping that this surgery will noticeably improve my quality of life, even though I still need to have the other knee done.

Kristen had me get up on a table and she worked both of my legs to see what my range of motion and my strength was.  She measured the passive bend on my right leg at 95 and on my left leg at about 85ish.  This was just from me sitting with my foot flat on the table and pulling it back as far as I could under my own leg-strength.  She said their goal is going to be to get to 110 on the left.  (I think that is optimistic given the size of my thighs and calves, but we'll see.)

She then had me lie flat on my back with my legs out straight, and she raised Bessie straight up from the hip joint - 20 times.  She asked if I have been doing that.  I said no, I have Hubs do it from a sitting position, so she wants us to add this to the list of things we do.

The next thing I had to do was also from the position of lying down.  I had to bring my knees up (not forced, just comfortably) and then raise my butt off the table while squeezing my glutes together.  (This is called The Bridge.)  I also need to add this to my repertoire.

That's it.  That's all she did with me.

For the last 15 min I was there, I sat with electrodes attached to my quads, and then my leg wrapped in an ice blanket.  This is supposed to stimulate blood flow to the area to help reduce swelling and pain.  She also told me that it is ok for me to start massaging my incision/scar even without lotion so I can start breaking down the scar tissue that is making it very hard.

This afternoon, Hubs and I did the full regimen of exercises, and then I iced for about 20 min.  I am now having more twinges of pain than I usually have.

Kristen also informed me that they are going to do my PT twice a week so that I will get more weeks.  (My insurance covers 20 sessions per calendar year and I already had 6 with home care.)  So my next appointment is Wed, and then I will have Tuesday and Thursday next week.  My next door neighbor is very kindly driving me in my car, and she is happy to be able to help.

So, that's my news for today.  Thanks for hanging in here with me! Talk to you again soon!

:)Amy


1 comment: