Saturday, June 29, 2013

3rd Book Done... and Then There's TV...

I just finished my 3rd book:  Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.  Yes, it is totally chick-lit.  I love Nicholas Sparks and have read all of his books, going all the way back to his first, The Notebook.  The only one I didn't like and couldn't finish was Three Weeks With My Brother which is his only non-fiction work.  I have heard all the negatives - his books are sappy, emotional and very predictable.  I'm ok with that.  I like his writing style, and I enjoy being transported into the world he's created.  It is a nice escape.

This book is a romance set in North Carolina.  A young woman shows up in a small town.  She's on the run from an abusive relationship and she has changed her identity so that her husband can't find her.  Most of the story is told from her point of view, but there are some chapters written from the point of view of the husband and how he reacts to coming home and finding her gone.  I'm not really giving anything away by saying that after a period of about 6 months or so, he does track her down and go after her.  (Predictable, remember?)  The climax of the story is the sequence of events that happens when he finds her.  That's all I'm going to say.  If you know Nicholas Sparks books, you know that they always have happy endings...

This has been made into a movie, and I have it on my Netflix list, so I will be getting it in the next week or two.

Also through Netflix, I am watching the series Downton Abbey from the beginning.  I had not watched any of it when it was on TV because it is on on Sunday nights, and I'm usually doing school work on Sunday nights.  I have read and seen a lot about Highclere Castle in England, so that captured my attention.  I started watching it mainly for the scenery and costumes, but after 1 episode I was hooked on the story.  I absolutely LOVE Maggie Smith, the woman who plays the Grande Dame of the family.  Her rye humor makes me laugh out loud.  There are 2 servants who are quite devious, so it is fun to see what they come up with in each episode, and 2 of the 3 daughters are constantly sniping at each other.

Here we go with the whole heir to the estate thing again and its close companion, the arranged marriage (of course there is no male heir in the immediate family...).  In fact, the story begins with the announcement of the sinking of the Titanic on which the heir to the estate (a cousin of the family) has perished.  Then the household, both upstairs family and downstairs servants, are thrown into a tizzy wondering who will now inherit the estate since it can't go to a lowly woman!  The oldest daughter Mary had been expected to marry this now-deceased cousin, so the search is on for a new suitor for her, much to her disgust.  She makes it clear that she will NOT be matched to someone she doesn't love.  But, but, but.... TRADITION?  Ah yes, Mary, and her sisters, are getting uppity, as women were wont to do back in that time.

There have been 3 seasons of the story so far (it began in 2010).  The first season had 7 episodes, and I have watched 5 of those so far.  This weekend, I will complete #6 & 7.  Then there are seasons 2 and 3 with another 18 episodes between them.  Season 4 doesn't resume until January of 2014, so I've got plenty of time to get caught up.  I am alternating discs of this with movies since I can have 2 out at once on my Netflix subscription.

The weather is gorgeous in Central Ohio right now.  I hope everyone enjoys a glorious weekend!    Thanks for reading and for your continued support!

:) Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment