Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pre-Op Stuff

Orthopedic Surgeons do lots of surgeries like mine.  They have a fairly well-established system for preparing their patients that starts months in advance.  In January or February, I worked with my doc's executive assistant to sent up appointments.  She gave me lots of info including a book called "Your Pathway to Knee Replacement Recovery" which is put out by the hospital I'll be going to.  It includes a DVD which shows the hospital facilities and walks the viewer step-by-step through what they will experience from the time they arrive at the hospital.  It talks about physical therapy and home exercises with a "patient" demonstrating each exercise.  This book was very thorough and very helpful.

There were 2 appointments I set up with the assistant.  The first was an MRI, not just of my knee, but of my whole leg.  The hardware company my doctor uses is called Biomet, and I am getting their "Signature" knee hardware.  This replacement hardware is tailor-made for my body based on this MRI, so the scan is done of my entire leg to ensure the proper measurement and alignment of the ankle, knee and hip joints.  Not only do they create my knee parts, but they also create the surgical instruments which will be used on me from this MRI.  Here is a video that explains this process:  Biomet Signature Knee Replacement Video

My MRI was done at the same hospital where my surgery will be done, and it was scheduled for mid-April, 2 months before my surgery date.  An MRI is non-invasive, and no real prep needs to be done before it.  The only real thing to plan for is to not have any metal on your clothing at all - otherwise you have to take them off.  (The only metal I had on me were my bra hooks, so I had to go into a dressing room and take my bra off.)  The biggest issue with an MRI of this sort is having to lay flat and motionless for quite awhile.  My scans were done in 2 sets of about 20 min each, and I was able to get up and stretch between the 2 sets.

When I had this done in prep for the 2010 surgery date, the process was not as extensive because my doc was not yet using this "Signature" process.  Then I only had to have my knee scanned, so things went faster.  I also remember that the table I had to lay on was very hard which really got to my lower back.  This time the table was at least a little bit padded, and my backed wasn't stressed as much.  I did have a thin pillow under my head.  The other thing about this scan that was better was that I was strapped down more.  It may seem counter-intuitive that this is better, but I found it more comfortable because I didn't have to consciously hold myself still.  I could relax against the straps and let them hold me still.

I knew in advance that they would play my choice of a Pandora music channel through headphones for me, so I came with a list of names for them to put in for me.  That was nice - I could just zone out to the music. I didn't fall asleep because the MRI machine is very noisy.  There are random beeps and whirs going on all the time, and a lot of white-noise (not unlike being on a jet plane).  My scan went very well, and my technician let me see the computer images because I was the last patient of the day.  The technology is really amazing, and I know it is getting better all the time.  I know this technology is better than it would have been 3 years ago... but no, I'm not waiting another 3 years!

The other pre-op testing I had to have done involved going to my family physician for a series of tests.  This included a blood test, urine test, EKG (but I had already had one within 6 mos so I didn't have to do that again), and chest xrays. This had to be done within 2 weeks of my surgery.  She also talked with me about all my meds.

About a week ago, someone from the hospital called to talk with me about my medications and supplements.  I went over my whole list with her, and she told me to stop my  Omega 3 supplement because that could thin my blood.  I also need to stop my diabetes med the day before surgery, but the other stuff I can continue as usual.

A few days later someone from the registration office called to double check all my contact information.  The last call will be tomorrow when someone will call to tell me when to arrive at the hospital.  When I set up my surgery date, I was told I would be the 2nd one on the schedule, so I'm hoping that means I won't have to get there TOO early.

So, that brings you up to date.  I don't know yet if I'm going to take my laptop with me to the hospital, so I may have to wait until I get home to do my next update.

Talk to you again soon!

:)Amy

P.S.  Don't forget to feed the fish while I'm away!

1 comment: