Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Small Victories

When I first came home from the hospital, there were several things I couldn't do.  I couldn't get into or out of bed without someone lifting Bessie.  I also couldn't lie on my side in bed.  On Monday, PT Brian said I should be able to get in and out of bed in 3-5 more days.  Ok - that gave me hope.

Yesterday, I was determined to get in bed by myself - dammit!  I have been using a crossover technique where I cross Bessie over my right leg and use that leg to lift and/or move her.  (Calling my other leg my "good" leg is sort of silly.  Right now it is "better" but it's never really "good".)  Until yesterday, I would cross the legs, and then Hubs would lift them both into the bed as I swung them around.  Somehow, yesterday, I was suddenly able to both lift and swing together, by myself.  YEA!!!

Today, PT Andrew had me lie on my right side with Bessie lined up on top of my right leg.  This was the first time I'd laid on my side at all, and it was comfortable.  After he left, and after I finished icing, I told Hubs I wanted to try to lie on my side for a little bit.  So, I did.  It felt sooooo good!  (I am usually a side-sleeper.)  However, after about 10 min my knee started to throb so I knew I had to flip back over.  At least I know now I can do it....  Even for a short time will help at night when I am going stir-crazy on my back!

This evening, after I finished icing, I wanted to get out of bed and it wasn't convenient to call for assistance, so I was determined to figure something out.  I already had the cross-over thing going.... then it hit me - the sheet!  Just as I use the sheet wrapped around my foot during the night to move my leg, I can use it to keep my leg from just falling as a dead weight off the bed, so I tried it and it worked!  I was able to use the sheet to hold it up until could get it crossed-over and lowered down with the other one.  WHEW!  I am now no longer a prisoner in the bed!!!

It is these small victories which help me see progress!!!  YAY !!!

:)Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment