Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Today's PT

Well, my new "bend degree" number isn't much improved (about 88), but what IS much improved is how high I can lift my leg.  I have to do an exercise where I sit in a straight chair, and I have to raise Bessie out straight in front of me to a lock-out position, and then slowly lower her to the floor.  On Monday, I could only lift my foot about 2 inches off the floor.  Today I was much higher - maybe 6".  I still can't lift it all the way to lock-out position, but I'm more than half way there!  That's a huge accomplishment to me!

I also got a new exercise.  For this one I am standing with my walker and Bessie is on a thick phone book and she is bent.  Then I slowly straighten her up until my other foot is off the floor, and then slowly go back down.  That move created new sensations in my leg.  PT Andrew says I should do that one 10-12 times during each exercise session.  He also said it wouldn't hurt to do more if I could.  It seems fairly easy, but I imagine that is deceptive, and I will probably be paying for it later.

We talked about the fact that I will be transitioning out of home PT and into a facility next Monday.  I'm actually excited to get out, and also to start using some equipment, but I'm also sort of afraid of more pain being imposed by the new PT.  Andrew told me to let them know what I could tolerate.  He said I don't have to let them hurt me.  That is good to know.  I plan on telling my new PT that if he/she hurts me I will return the hurt!

I also had my last visit from the home health nurse, who just took my vitals and looked at my incision.

So, that's my excitement for today.  Now it is back to my exciting life of watching TV and reading....

Thanks for hanging in here with me, and don't forget to feed the fish!

:)Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment