Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 6

It is interesting how we perceive the passing of time.  In some ways, it feels like time is dragging, but then I realize I'm already Day 6 post-op and it seems like it has flown by.  The night was fairly good.  I didn't get too achy and managed to sleep soundly for hours at a time.  I woke up around 5:30 and wanted to get up, but I decided I would wait until 6 to wake Hubs.  Then the next thing I knew it was 7 and he was coming in to wake me up.  I was soooo stiff - not just Bessie but my back too.  I think the restrictive sleeping position is the worst part of this process as of now.  I got up, went to the bathroom, walked around a bit and got dressed.  Then I got back in bed for my morning exercises, which I don't feel went as well as last night - I think because I was still very stiff.

One of the things that I came home with was a leg-massaging machine.  My instructions are to use it almost all the time for 2 weeks.  I am not supposed to have it off for more then 30 min at a time, and not more than 4 hours a day.  I'm pretty sure I've not exceeded the 4 hours off a day, but I've gone over the 30 min thing a few times.  Yesterday, I had it off for several hours while I took a shower and washed my compression stockings. It is tolerable, but does get annoying at times.

My unit can be seen here.



The wraps are segmented into 3 sections for easier fitting, and are affixed with Velcro.  (The strongest Velcro on the planet, I might add!)

I keep the top one on Bessie a little loose because it can sort of irritate my incision when it expands and contracts. I'm not sure how often it activates. I would guess every couple minutes.  It whirs and makes a series of popping sounds when it activates.  My control unit hangs on the handle of my walker, so I can walk with it on, but often times I just disconnect the leg cables when I'm moving so they don't get in my way.  Then I hook them back up when I'm sitting.

I tend to run hot anyway, and having these things on my legs all the time, along with the compression stockings, does tend to make me hotter.

Well, I am expecting my Physical Therapist, Brian in about 30 min.  I'll let y'all know how that goes later.

:)Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment