Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Final Preparations

It is after midnight on the day of my surgery.  So even though the date of this entry shows it as Tuesday, June 11, I am still counting this as the night before - Monday, June 10.

This morning around 10 am, a nurse from the hospital called with my final instructions.  I am to arrive at 10:30 and my surgery is scheduled for 12:30.  I had previously been given a bottle of antiseptic scrub - chlorhexidine gluconate 4% solution.  This is the same stuff that docs and nurses use when they scrub for surgery.  Today I was told to take a shower tonight before bed and use half the bottle on my whole body.  Then tomorrow morning, I am supposed to shower again and use the other half bottle on my operative leg/knee.  I just took my night-time shower, and it was difficult to use half the bottle.  It's a small bottle (4oz), but a little bit goes a long way.  Anyway, I washed everything first with normal soap, and then I used the scrub stuff.  Clean towels, clean nightgown, clean clothes tomorrow.  I think the only way I could get any cleaner was if they washed me on the operating table - and they probably will!  I'm not complaining, mind you!

Medication instructions: tonight - just my cholesterol pill, but no diabetes meds.  Tomorrow morning - my blood pressure and my thyroid meds, but nothing else, and with the absolute smallest amount of water I can handle.  Also, no other supplements tonight or tomorrow.  Then I have to bring my Rx meds for the next 2 days in their original, labeled bottles.

Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.  Not even gum or a breath mint.  I can brush my teeth in the morning as long as I don't swallow any water.  I can wear deodorant but no lotions or powders anywhere on my body.

I was told to bring a pair of shorts and a bathrobe.  I'm also taking a nightgown and hoping they will allow me to wear it tomorrow night and lose the hospital gown.  Also, some extra underwear... and then of course I will have the clothes I arrive in.

I also have to have my driver's license and my insurance card with me.  This will be the third time they will have seen my insurance card.  I also have to give them my Living Will and Health Care Power of Attorney.  They will scan these and keep them on file.  Glasses case - CPAP machine - Walker.

I will also have a book to read and my cell phone, but no other valuables.  I'm leaving my wallet and jewelry at home - even my wedding ring.

I thought about taking my camera, but have decided not to.  A couple of days ago, Hubs took photos of my leg from all angles.  It will be interesting to compare.

It is now just after 1 am, and I probably should go to bed.  I'll probably be up to go to the bathroom during the night because I was told to drink a lot of water today.  I will be up at 8 to do my morning shower and then try to forget about the idea of eating anything until my friend picks me up at 10.

Good night!  I'll be back soon with more details than you ever wanted to know!

:) Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment