Friday, June 14, 2013

The Big Day

My friend picked me up about 10 am, and we headed to the hospital.  I was at a facility called the Mount Carmel New Albany Surgical Hospital.  It is just for orthopedic surgeries, so there aren't "sick" people there.  I believe that greatly reduces the chance of infection.  This is really a lovely facility - it looks more like a luxury hotel than a hospital.  Everyone I worked with there was great!

I checked in at the front desk and was sent to registration.  I had already pre-registered, but I still had to show my driver's license, insurance card, and my Living Will and Health Care POA.  Next we were taken to the surgical waiting room where I check in.  In just a couple of minutes a nurse came to get me, and I was told to bring my CPAP machine with me.  I was taken to a large area that sort of looked like an emergency room, with bed/areas that were curtained off.  I was put in a little cubicle and told to take my clothes off, put them in a bag, and then put on a gown and little booties.  Then I was to make myself comfy on the bed.  A nurse came in and asked me lots of medical history questions, which I had already answered several times.  She also drew blood.  Then they let my friend come sit with me.

A little while later, I spoke with the head anesthesiologist and then later with a student on his team.  They both explained that I would be getting a spinal as well as another anesthesia.  They explained the benefits of both - that I would wake up faster, be less groggy and get more help with pain for a longer time.  They had me sign a consent form for that plan.

Around noonish, my friend was asked to go back to the waiting room, and I was given my spinal, and then wheeled into the operating room.  I could feel the spinal immediately.  My hands could feel my body, but my body couldn't feel my hands.  Then a mask was put on my face and I was gone.  The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.

More to come - stay tuned!

:)Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment